Sunday, August 14, 2016

Butterflies Galore!

I recently revisited Swap-Bot and signed up for a butterfly swap. We were to make 20 butterflies for two partners, so a total of 40 butterflies were made. They could be punched, die-cut or hand-cut, and could all be the same shape, but they all had to be from different paper or prints. Of course, I went overboard, but it was so fun!


IMG_20160725_085429
I wonder what my partners will do with all of their butterflies?

20160713_161929
The other side of the butterfly on the left (above) is pink instead of blue, and is backed with vellum. They're cut from a Tim Holtz die and they are huge.


20160709_201145
These are steampunk-ish palm-sized butterflies, my favorites.
IMG_20160709_205739
See? So big! I spritzed them with Distress and Dylusions ink and glued gears cut from metallic cardstock onto the wings. In person, it really does look like metal.
IMG_20160709_203810
I don't know why I haven't made myself one of these!
20160712_221318
For the envelopes, I cut out two large butterflies from a coloring book I found at a thrift store, and placed them on the front of the envelopes as masks while I spritzed ink all around them. I placed smaller butterflies where the return address should be.


20160712_221454
I like how the fronts turned out, the backs could have been better.
20160712_220819
I received 40 butterflies from the Swap-Bot swap, mostly the size of the smallest ones I did, and I'm very happy with them. When I swap with someone, I mostly think about the giving, not the getting. So when it dawned on me I was going to get 40 butterflies, I was a little worried about where I was going to put them all. It's fine, they're in with my cut dies and I've already used a few of them on a project. This was a fun swap that I enjoyed immensely. 


IMG_20160714_165404
I liked the steampunk-ish ones so much, I took the butterflies I used as masks on the envelopes and did the same technique on them. I had originally intended to throw them away, but after seeing them with all the ink spritzed on them, I just couldn't. I'm glad I didn't! I'm sending them to a couple of Instagram buddies, but they don't know it yet. They're huge, and I'm not sure what my two Instagram buddies will end up using them for, but they commented on how much they liked them, so I thought I'd surprise them by sending them each one.

Be careful when you tell me you like something I've made, you just might end up with it.






4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love these. I am so inspired. Most of my art stash are butterflies. It never dawned on me to actually make butterflies to store in my stash as embellishments. I am always making other embellishments. I love the idea of using coloring pages for masks. I have a large butterfly die too. I love that thing. I actually bought a butterfly die you had on your blog. I spent a good part of the morning looking for that die on Ebay and managed to find it. I was so excited to get it in and it is one of my favorite dies. Thank you for enabling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to be your crafty enabler. That's so great you found the die! It's a pretty good-sized one, too. I'm sure you'll make lots of beautiful butterflies with it. One of my daughters gifted it to me. Talk about enablers, when we go craft shopping, look out! You know, I'm always up for a swap if you ever want to exchange die-cuts, stickers, ATCs, cards, tissue paper or whatever. I'll even do International if it's somewhere easy to ship to. I followed a link to your blog and Pinterest, so now I am a subscriber of both! I appreciate your comments so very much, they make my day.

      Delete
  2. I think they would make great 3 D art on walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, they would look pretty cool on a wall.

      Delete

Please be kind