Sunday, August 21, 2011

Onions

The other day I chopped up 4 onions for one meal. I think that's some kind of record.


I cut one chunky for the kielbasa, which I sautéd in a bit of olive oil. I needed two smaller chopped onions for the potatoes I cut up into bite-sized pieces which I put in foil with olive oil and butter and baked in the oven (oops, no picture).



The last one I chopped up very small to make fried corn, something I used to make only around the holidays. I don't know why I didn't make it any other time, but I found myself making it several times this year. Go me.


The corn must drain for a bit before trying to fry it or it takes way too long to start that yummy carmelization. I put a bit of olive oil and butter in the pan, let it melt and add the onions. After they get going really well I toss in the corn. I've never timed it, but I would say it takes about 15 minutes to start seeing that nice brown color that lets you know it's ready.


The sweet Vidalias weren't overpowering, believe it or not, they just sort of melted into the food, especially the potatoes and corn. My daughters aren't crazy about onions, but they sure are crazy about that corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind