Thursday, November 24, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

20161124_130419
Video of me kneading my refrigerator roll dough

I can’t believe I forgot to make my refrigerator roll dough!

I try to keep the clover leaf roll tradition alive that my father began close to 70 years ago. I found that this Betty Crocker’s recipe from my favorite cookbook, a wedding gift from over 38 years ago, tastes as close to his as I’ll ever get.

The thing is, this recipe has to rise in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours, but the best part is that it will keep up to 5 days. I usually make it a couple of days ahead of time, but I totally spaced this year. Looks like it’ll be late tonight or tomorrow before we get to taste them. So worth the wait.


The cutting board I'm kneading the bread on is actually a sort of island on wheels. My sister-in-law gave it to us, and we've had it for probably 20 years. Someone in her family made it, possibly her father, I forget, but it's been one of the handiest pieces of furniture we've ever owned.

I cooked a fairly small meal this year because it was just Deni, Dawn and myself. Valerie had to work. We were invited to a couple of different family gatherings, but we weren't feeling that well, so we opted to stay at home. The turkey breast I cooked turned out to be chicken, and not very good. *sigh* But the other things I cooked were yummy. Then my niece dropped off a feast, so we'll have that with the clover leaf rolls tomorrow.

I hope you had a wonderful day of lots of good things to eat and great company with which to gather. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind