Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Elephant-Themed Card Holder

Let me start off by saying, "Arrgggghhh!" Blogger is not cooperating with me today. It wins. If the spacing between paragraphs is off, please pardon Bloggers insistence it be wonky. Ugh.
 
I made this greeting card holder for my daughter Valerie, who loves elephants. She gave me a few sheets of her favorite scrapbook paper from her collection and it worked out fabulously. The background paper is very cool, it simulates elephant hide and feels a bit like leather. I fussy cut the images of the elephants from another sheet and used yet another print on the inside.
The back was done the same way as the front. I was going to fussy-cut the entire elephant, but my daughter told me she really liked it with the background. She has an eye for stuff like that, I like it as well.
The inside print looks like a rock wall and matches the grey color scheme going on. The left side has a corner pocket that can be used for smaller cards that won't fit between the two rings or for letters that accompany the cards my daughters receives. I cut up an envelope and adhered a piece of the printed paper left over from fussy-cutting the elephants on the front.

For the right side I took a library card pouch and attached a square of the elephant hide print card stock and slipped a keepsake tag into it.
See the texture of the this paper? I love it!
 
I'm on the lookout for the perfect beads to slip on the rings.

I'm quite happy with the way this one turned out. It suits what my daughter likes and will be something I hope she can use for years to come.

Photos by dawt on Flickr.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I'm having so much fun with my current project that I may do a few more things with paper (I can't believe I said that). Or maybe incorporate fabric into these kind of projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! You have a great eye for color and patterns, you could work magic mixing the two. The more I play with paper, the more I play with paper. I've found I really like to fussy-cut, something I didn't think I'd have patience for. Now I look at patterns with that in mind, how I can cut it to make it pop.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind